05 November 2010

My Letter to Amtrak

Re: case #2383505
I need to add some information to the complaint that I filed with your customer relations office.
During this trip, I had identifying myself as a disabled passenger who required assistance with my luggage. Unfortunately, due to my situation, my luggage was more awkward than would have been useful, but I acknowledged it, and asked if I could get assistance.
I was informed on the phone when I made the reservation, as well as at the station in Van Nuys, CA, that would not be a problem.
In fact, the customer service at Van Nuys went over and above “the call of service” to assist me. Unfortunately, this caused me to have unreal expectations for the rest of my trip.
When I got onto the thruway bus from Van Nuys to Bakersfield, I heard the customer service lady tell the driver of the coach that I was disabled and required assistance.
When we arrived at Bakersfield, I had heard the driver say to one of the first people off of the bus (I waited until the last since I didn’t want to be in anyone’s way); to watch their step.
As I came off of the bus, I looked down, expecting there to be a stool, since it was a VERY large distance (about 18 inches to the ground), there was none. I looked towards the driver, thinking MAYBE he would put a hand towards me to help me out of the bus. He didn’t.
Unfortunately, my stability isn’t good, and I nearly fell from last step to the ground.
When the driver then took the luggage out of the luggage hold, he looked at me and said; "isn't this YOURS?!"
I answered yes, thinking that since not only had my reservation made a point of saying disabled requiring assistance, but a disabled fare, and the Van Nuys station not only had told him that I required assistance, but had given me MUCH assistance in front of him at that station; why wasn’t he asking me if I needed a “red cap” or other assistance, if he couldn’t help me. I was dumbfounded. 

Leaving my luggage in front of him, I searched the area attempting to catch the attention of a station attendant and informed him of my health situation. He was very kind and helpful

As I walked away, I heard the bus driver grumble and say something nasty under his breath about people faking their disabilities to get a break on their fares. I am VERY insulted by that attitude! I may appear fairly young and healthy on the outside, but this man’s actions and inactions actually compounded my disability by causing my pain level to rise.
I am not supposed to lift anything, but forced myself to lift even more than I usually attempt to. This caused my pain level to progress from about a 7.2 on a scale of 1-10 to an 8.8 by the time I had been on the train for about 2 hours. I was unable to do anything to ease my pain for the next several hours on the trains.  


I have enjoyed my travels on the train, when I was told that my disabilities have progressed to the point that I do require some assistance, and I may require more in the near future; I have been excited about being able to travel around the country on Amtrak. I was planning on purchasing a rail pass next month with part of my disability payments, but I no longer think that Amtrak is a good way for anyone with disabilities to travel.

Just during this particular trip, every time I had to transfer; I was met with awful attitudes by the people who I thought I was supposed to ask for help. When I was informed that, no matter WHAT my reservation said, I needed to ASK for help each and every time I had to change trains; I wondered what disabled people who are non-verbal do. How does Amtrak handle that? Are they required to put a sign on their bodies in large letters and in red print: “PLEASE HELP ME?!”

Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Is there any policy that Amtrak has to assist passengers with disabilities; or is it just the MAJOR inconvenience that most of your employees appear to believe it is?

I enjoy the train as well as the friendly attendants that I have enjoyed being around. This was a VERY isolated experience in my travels with your company, unfortunately, this experience has made me hesitant to think that I can effectively travel at all on Amtrak without having to beg someone to travel with me to assist me. This will make me seeing this country before I loose my eyesight completely, nearly impossible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and look into your policies regarding disabled passengers.

1 comment:

  1. Added to the complaint that I filed by phone the day that it happened.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments: