12 November 2010

On Train from Seattle to Chicago - Journal excerpt


Just met Teagan (2month old baby girl) and Ashley, her mom. Going to North Dakota for her Great Grandmothers’ funeral. Sad. But happy that they can be a part of the new life that is Teagan!

On the train from Seattle to Chicago. Met a woman named Cathy in the train depot. She is in a sleeping car, and I am not. So. We will see who my TRAIN friends are this leg. Usually meet them at the first smoking stop. Apparently that is at Enumclaw, but I just realized that the train has been stopped for a long time. But I thought we were in Everett just a few moments ago. Maybe we are still there? Lol. Well, who knows. At least I had time to start writing.

I don’t know why I didn’t write on the last leg, as much. Yes, I scribbled and dabbed… but I will compile those notes on this journey.

They are waiting on freight traffic.. NOW I know… LMAO!….

Now… On to some typing for my work… compile the Pot Farm Friends Tour… PFFT

Make a directory, spreadsheet. Begin writing.



Must look into Norml for medical states along the way… I think I am good in Montana. From what I hear at least. 
I don’t know about Idaho, and I don’t think the Dakotas… but I need to check.

Right now we are in a tunnel across the Cascades. Cool

This is where I have been since I last posted:  (from Amtrak’s guide of the Empire Builder train that I am currently aboard):

Skykomish As the train follows the Skykomish River, you can see
Washington’s famous pine and fir forests.  In this area are the
prospectors Money Creek, Indian Falls, chute-shaped Sunset Falls, Table
Rock and spectacular Mount Index (right).  Skykomish was founded as
a railroad town and serves as a stopping point for recreational access
to the surrounding mountains including skiing at Stevens Pass.
Cascade Mountains For the 65 miles east of Everett, the tracks
have climbed more than 2,800 ft.  The best way to get through this
spectacular mountain range is to go under it D which you can, thanks
to the 7.8 mile Cascade Tunnel bored under Stevens Pass, 500 ft.
overhead and 4,061 ft. above sea level.  Longest in the U.S., it was
completed in 1929.
Icicle Canyon If you look closely you might see goats on the hillsides,
elk, beaver and deer in the marshes.
The train is now descending more than 100 ft. for every mile of forward
progress.
Leavenworth This quaint Bavarian themed village just outside
of Tumwater Canyon has become the first major tourist stop on the
eastern side of the mountains.  German-style restaurants abound, and
the area is a popular outdoor recreation spot for whitewater rafting
and mountain biking.  Its annual Oktoberfest celebration is one of the
world’s most attended outside of Munich, Germany.


Next stop is Wenatchee is home of the Apple Blossom festival and renowned
as the “Apple Capital of the World.”  The region grows more than 15
percent of the nations’ apple crop.  The city takes its name from an
Indian word meaning “robe of the rainbow.”
It is also the FIRST SMOKE STOP since SEATTLE!!!!   YAY!!!! Finally!

It’s dark. The baby that she was walking has since fallen asleep. I hope her oh so young mom takes the opportunity to get some rest as well. It seems she has a lot on those small shoulders, draped with her pretty golden blond hair. Going to North Dakota for her Great Grandmother’s funeral. Something tells me all attention will be on the new life that she is bringing with her… you know the one… that she was walking up and down the isle. No crying… just huge eyes, taking it all in. Gramma Maggie is sad for missing her grandkids. But I think I will have more to give to them when I know who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments: